di Barletta (Castle of Barletta)
Probably the Castle of Barletta was built
during the Norman age. Defensive works were
done between 1552 and 1559. Further works
were done throughout the centuries until
the recent restaoration work which started
in 1970 and ended a short time ago. Those
kind of works let us to use the castle as
a cultural place too. In fact, inside the
castle you can see a "lapidarium",
a permanent exhibition of weapons and of
ancient local handicrafts, a place devoted
to temporary exhibitions, a conference room,
a representative Municipality room, an exhibition
of some important pictures coming from the
Civic Museum, the seat of the Tourist Agency
and finally the Civic Library.
As to its structure, the castle's entrance
is on the southern side and it is reachable
through a stone bridge.
In the entrance hall the door on the left
gets to the ancient seat of the guard whereas
the one on the right gets to the chapel
where the lords of the castle were buried.
The many rooms of the castle are very sumptuous
and wide; the vaults under the ramparts
are wide too.